Welcome to the blog of Mary Brock Jones, SF author.

I also have a website, here


I write science fiction. Some dark, some not so dark. Some short, some longer, some very long. Some have a happy ending, others definitely not.

I also write NZ historical romance novels.They always end happily, even if the journey can get quite bumpy.

It's a nice mix.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Distractions

Writing is taking a very big back seat to other stuff at the moment. I enrolled in another Massey paper this year,  on medieval English. the first assignment is looming - end of March is D-Day. So I have been reading for that. But mostly I have been reading 2 new release, paranormal romances. And they are so good!. Alexis Morgan's latest in her Paladin series "Defeat the Darkness" and Nalini Singh's latest in her angel series "Archangel's Kiss" Both are utterly awesome and enthralling to the exclusion of the reading and writing I should be doing. 

My characters in my current work in progress (Gorge Creek)seem to have written themselves into a blind alley. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a very productive blind alley, with a cunning detour out of it. Or maybe that is wishful thinking. It's certainly making my heroine a more interesting person. She has made a major fool of herself, and lost the good will of all the people she had come to depend on, except of course our hero. I think it will help, as it forces the hero to see what it is that makes her tick. But whether it will help her, or the resolution of the story, I have yet to find out. And right now, it will have to wait until that dratted assignment is finished. Why do I do these things to myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment