Welcome to the blog of Mary Brock Jones, SF author.

I also have a website, here


I write science fiction. Some dark, some not so dark. Some short, some longer, some very long. Some have a happy ending, others definitely not.

I also write NZ historical romance novels.They always end happily, even if the journey can get quite bumpy.

It's a nice mix.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hathe Part 1 Finished

I've finally finished the re-edit of Hathe part 1. Working title at the moment is "To Resist the Heart".  I chose it mainly because I am going to enter it into the RWNZ Clendon award, which is for a romance novel by an unpublished author. One short story is OK by their rules. So it needed a romantic title. Mind you, the Clendon entry form does say a romance needs a happy ending. "Hathe" does have one, it's just not at the end of Part 1. Actually, Part 1 has got a pretty miserable ending. But Part 2 ends up happyish - and if there is no such word, there ought to be.
     Now I just have to rewrite Part 2.  That may be more problematical, as I have to change it to add in the basic info from Part 1,  without clogging up the story with big pieces of exposition. Also, Part 1 ended up at 91,000 words. Part 2 is currently only 73,000. And at the end, will the "revise and resubmit" invitation from Carina Press still stand? They sent it to me in July 2010. At the rate I'm going, I won't be finished both books till July 2011. Maybe I better stop blogging  - or any other form of procrastination - and get back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment