Welcome to the blog of Mary Brock Jones, SF author.

I also have a website, here


I write science fiction. Some dark, some not so dark. Some short, some longer, some very long. Some have a happy ending, others definitely not.

I also write NZ historical romance novels.They always end happily, even if the journey can get quite bumpy.

It's a nice mix.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Floating POV

POV issues are a real sticky problem for me at present. Then I read this terrific post about 'floating POV' which made so much sense.
 http://ffnp.blogspot.com/2010/11/its-not-just-point-of-view.html

Omniscient 3rd person POV sneaks into my work all the time, particularly in "Hathe", the book I'm currently editing. And while on the one hand, I have  a distinct mistrust of writing ideologies that set limits on the techniques an author can use - the proverbial insistence on using deep 3rd person that pervades present day genre fiction, in order to make the story a page turner - this idea of a 'floating POV' really made sense to me. Basically it seems to be what happens when the newbie author doesn't really know who is telling the story at any given point in time. And not knowing what you're doing or why you are doing it is shoddy storytelling in anyone's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment