Welcome to the blog of Mary Brock Jones, SF author.

I also have a website, here


I write science fiction. Some dark, some not so dark. Some short, some longer, some very long. Some have a happy ending, others definitely not.

I also write NZ historical romance novels.They always end happily, even if the journey can get quite bumpy.

It's a nice mix.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Slow Down

The wise adage is that to be a writer you must write, every day. and that is very true. But sometimes life intrudes and you have a slow patch. Like me, right now. Life is intruding and my writing is losing. I seem to manage a few hours of editing a week at most, and that is not good for the writing soul.
But am I beating myself up about it. No. Because that'e even worse for the writing soul. We do this crazy activity because we love it. And because without periods of losing ourselves in our own work, something is just not right with our world.
But a slow patch is just that, a patch out of the whole long course of our life. The writing will be back. And thinking is part of writing.  I have a whole novel to work out in my head before I get anywhere near paper. So maybe a part of me is still writing after all. A nice thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment