Welcome to the blog of Mary Brock Jones, SF author.

I also have a website, here


I write science fiction. Some dark, some not so dark. Some short, some longer, some very long. Some have a happy ending, others definitely not.

I also write NZ historical romance novels.They always end happily, even if the journey can get quite bumpy.

It's a nice mix.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Plans and good intentions

This year, I have a plan. That's quite an accomplishment for me, and follows on from my pre-New Year resolution. And so far, I am sort of keeping to it. Fingers crossed, anyway.
Part 1 of plan - finish the Gorge Creek book by end of March. Sort of on track. Half edited, half to go.

Slightly amended by discovering the Page International competition, which included a category for short scripts that seemed to suit the short film I wrote for the Massey screenwriting paper I completed last year. It was a good reason to make me pull it out again, review the lecturer's comments, add the scenes I'd thought of since, and make myself meet a deadline. So that is done. Except that two days after submitting my entry, I finally figured out how to work the crucial scene near the end to get the effect I wanted. You can enter more than once, but you have to pay and I'm not sure enough of the credibility of this competition to pay twice. But my required outcome was achieved. I now have a script that does what I wanted it to.

Part 2 - pull together my long, short story (~10,000 words) "Off to the Works" and find somewhere to submit it to. I currently have two versions, so have to marry them together.

Part 3 - climate change novel. That keeps gestating in the back of my brain. Lots of research needed first, but I should be able to get on to it by May. Current plan anyway, though the Massey paper I'm doing at present might push that date out a bit.

Part 4 - continuous with all the above. Submit, submit, submit. Get published.

All good intentions, all fully malleable. But there is something very self-gratifying about feeling organised. A halo rubbing, smug kind of personal point scoring. Who knows, I may even stick to the plan. Or not. I have also learnt not to beat myself up about such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment